How to stop pigeons nesting under solar panels
We all know that solar panels are revolutionary for the environment. However, when you invested in them, we bet you never thought birds such as feral pigeons would nest underneath them.
Seeing one or two birds gathering on your roof may not seem like a big issue. However, it becomes a problem when pigeons, or other birds, decide to call your solar panels home.
When this happens, it’s essential to be proactive and ensure the birds take their nest elsewhere.
Unfortunately, it’s easier said than done to move them.
Pigeons and solar panels get on very well, as solar panels provide warmth and shelter to birds. So why would they want to move?
If you’re experiencing problems with pigeons nesting under your solar panels, or want to be proactive about the situation, here are a few tips.
Right, back to the blog.
Pigeons under solar panels? 6 Steps to take
How can you get rid of pigeons from under your solar panels? Here are six tips you can follow to convince them to leave your property.
1. Install solar panel pigeon mesh.
Solar panel bird guards are being installed across the United Kingdom at an exponential rate, and finding a solution that will not damage your investment is crucial.
Bird mesh is one of the most successful solar panel bird deterrent options to protect your investment. The mesh is designed to seal the area under your solar panels so birds can’t get underneath.
The most significant advantage of using solar panel bird guards or mesh has to be how discreet it looks. Other solutions can be noticeable, but not solar panel pigeon mesh.
Installing bird mesh correctly can be difficult and not something that someone with no prior bird eradication experience should take on.
2. Bird netting around solar panels.
Bird netting is another method that is used to prevent birds from nesting under your solar panels. When placed around the solar panels, bird netting works as a barrier to stop birds from accessing their desired area.
Our expertise over the years has taught us that mesh is always the better option to stop birds nesting under solar panels. However, our blog is here to inform you of the options available.
3. Bird spikes for solar panels.
Another option you may find online for getting rid of pigeons under solar panels is bird spikes. Bird spikes can be installed as a method to prevent birds from nesting under solar panels.
Bird spikes are available in multiple sizes and are usually very effective at stopping birds as they make it uncomfortable for birds to sit in their desired area.
Unfortunately, spikes can be unsightly and are not everyone’s taste due to the discomfort they can cause.
4. Keep your garden clean.
Keeping your garden clean only tends to work as a proactive solar panel pigeon control method. Ensure your garden has no waste lying around as this will remove food sources for the birds.
It is also essential to make sure any bins surrounding your house are tightly sealed so birds can not feed on them. Anything birds might eat around your garden needs to be removed for this method to be effective.
5. Clean your panels regularly.
Keeping your panels in good condition is just one step in being proactive. A solar panel array that is in good, clean and working condition will be much less attractive for birds to nest.
We recommend having your solar panels professionally serviced to ensure long-term functionality. Repairing any damage to the array and fixing any mounting issues are part of the battle.
6. Contact a solar panel pigeon control company.
We strongly recommend choosing a professional pest control company to carry out the work. Bird proofing for solar panels is important and requires an expert installer for long-lasting, effective and successful application.
Why choose a pest control company?
Well, bird exclusion and bird proofing are not something a builder, roofer or solar panel company would know. However, a bird control company like ourselves has access to high-quality materials. We’ve seen some companies use cheap garden centre mesh, which will fair and rust very quickly.
The main reason why you should choose a pest control company to carry out the work is that companies such as ourselves hold a licence from Natural England to remove birds lawfully.
We recommend always using a professional pest control company to carry out the work. Getting rid of birds under solar panels can be dangerous as panels are generally in hard-to-reach areas, and pigeons are vermin who carry diseases and pose a health risk.
We’ve also been to jobs that customers have tried to carry out themselves, and due to their inexperience in bird proofing, it has meant that they have had to pay for the materials and work twice.
If you do decide to use a solar panel pest control company and it isn’t ourselves, ask yourself the following:
- Are fixings non-intrusive to protect the warranty of the panels?
- How will the mesh be fixed? Make sure it won’t simply be bent under the panels’ frames.
- Is the company a BPCA member, not just an employee or two with an entry-level certificate? Being a BPCA member is crucial as many companies still operate completely unregulated but advertise as having RSPH or BPCA-trained staff. They may be BPCA trained but are they qualified? Ask to see proof if you are unsure.
- Do they offer fully-licensed drone surveys to examine the bird problem closely?
- Are they CEPA / EN16636 certified? Don’t just take their word as the truth; check for verification.
- Check that all waste will be removed and that contaminated areas will be treated with a biocide.
- Make sure the company is registered as an upper-tier waste carrier so that your waste won’t end up dumped at the side of the road.
- Beware of anybody who can complete the work too quickly. Why can they get the job done within a day or two? We may have a slight wait, but for a good reason, the differences in quality will be obvious.
- If somebody says they can do the work for £200 – £300, what sort of finished product will you have?
We hope our guide on how to stop pigeons under solar panels has been helpful. Don’t forget, our UK wide pigeon proofing solar panel team is always a phone call away: 0204 566 5522